Around Le Mastizon
The Charente is full of interesting places to visit and has lots of activities for children. here's a few tips for you but for more information visit the website www.lacharente.com
This ancient city is situated on a hill overlooking the meandering river Charante. It has been the capital of the Charente since the middle ages, where the river was littered with linin mills and is now known as being the capital of the comic strip, bandes dessiné (BD), where enthusiasts come from all over the world to attend the annual BD fayre.
There are many walking tours of Angoulême for all levels, taking in all the culture of this fabulous ancient city.
There is also an annual motor event here, “The Ramparts” where lots of motor enthusiasts come together in September every year and race around the Ramparts (the old city wall). A fantastic atmospheric event.
There is an abundance of restaurants and bars, so can be a place to just watch the world go by eating and drinking local cuisine and great local wine and cognac.
Spend a day here wandering around this beautiful city, restaurants in abundance. The city itself surrounded by vineyards growing grapes for the local drink Cognac and Pineau.
While away some time visiting the local distilleries of Henessey, Martel, Remy Martin to name but a few, where you can get to taste this “liquid gold”. This is very much recommended.
Limoges (world famous city of porcelain)
Again an ancient city, with great old streets to meander around, feeling the ambiance of ancient Limoges butchers quarter, shopping areas and the fabulous museums of the world famous Limoges porcelain.
Lac de Haute Charente
There are many lacs in the area catering for many needs, the nearest being Lac De Guirlie in Pressignac. Here you can enjoy the sandy beaches swimming in the lake which is has a life guard in the summer months areas for children too.
Across the lake is the Pressignac nautical centre, where you can find wind surfing , paddle boarding, sailing, water skiing and further round the lake is the equestrian centre.
- Angoulême - Daily, Les Halles & Place Victor Hugo
- Aubeterre – 2nd Thursday of each month
- Chabanais - 1st Thursday of each month
- Chalais - 1st Monday of each month
- Cognac - 2nd Saturday of each month
- Jarnac - 1st Saturday of each month
- Villebois Lavalette - 2nd Saturday of each month
- Piegut–Pluviers – wed mornings
- Nontron-Saturday mornings
- Brantome- Friday mornings
- Golf de St Junien Les Jouberties, 87200 St Junien, 05 55 02 96 96 ,www.golfdesaintjunien.com
- Golf de la Préz,(35 mins) La Préze 16220 Rouzéde 05 45 23 24 74 www.golfdelapreze.com
- Golf club de Limoges 26 avenue de golf,87000 Limoges 05 55 30 28 01 www.golfclublimoges.com
- Golf de la Porcelaine Célicroux 87350 Panazol 05 55 31 10 69 www.golf-porcelaine.com
- Golf de St Lazare 26 avenue de Golf Limoges 05 55 30 21 02
- Golf de l’Hirondelle, Rue de L’Hirondelle,16000 Angouléme 05 45 61 16 94 www.golf-angouleme.com
A very French thing to do, there are many cycle tracks and VTT tracks from the gite, a great way to see the area.
Walking or Driving
There are many walks in and around the charente and neighbouring regions or scenic drives and sight seeing for the less energetic
There are many golf clubs around , all of them are recommended:
There is fishing in abundance here in the charente and neighbouring regions, licences can be purchased in all villages and towns.
The main town ,only 10 minutes walk, is Chabanais, a very historical town on the river Vienne where you will find everything you need, station, super market, boulonger, butcher, banks, restaurents and bars, medical services.